Local Number Texting
What is Local Number Texting?
Do I qualify for a local number?
What are the benefits of a local number?
- Carrier support and assurance – Like toll-free numbers, communications providers allow you to register your usage which will help avoid unintentional spam filtering.
- Local phone number recognition – Send text messages to your contacts individually or in mass with a local phone number. Contacts may trust a local number more which helps build engagement and provides a great experience.
- Text- and voice-enabled phone numbers – Local numbers support voice, which allows your customers to send and receive text messages on the same number they call you on. This creates a more seamless experience for customers, making it easier and more convenient to engage with you between calls and text messages.
Are there any limits on local texting?
|Suggested Max Daily Volume*||Registration Recommended?|
| 2,000 messages**
| 4,000 messages
To prevent your messages to T-Mobile from failing, as your usage increases, please reach out to us for assistance registering your organization.
**1 message is equal to a 160-character text message.
How do I get a local number?
Depending on how your account is currently set up, you may be able to obtain a free local number through the Settings page in your account. Below are the step-by-step instructions on enabling the local messaging option:
Most of our users just need to switch to a local number with no additional forms or work. To switch to a local number follow these steps:
- Go to the Settings page in your account.
- In the section labeled "Action Required" click the button labeled CHOOSE NOW.
- On the next page click SWITCH TO A LOCAL NUMBER.
- In the dialog that appears you may choose an area code, you wish to use. The area code must be registered in the United States or Canada.
Users who need to register
Most people do not need to register. However, if you send more than 2,000 messages in one day you might want to consider registering to avoid running into carrier limits. We are working on getting an automated form ready for you to fill out on your own. In the meantime, reach out to our customer experience team at email@example.com or 877-226-3080.
If you have any additional questions please reach out to our Customer Experience team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 877-226-3080, and we'd be happy to help you!
Can I register my local number(s)?
Right now most people do not need to register. However, if you send more than 2,000 messages in one day you might want to consider registering to avoid running into carrier limits.
Unfortunately, registration comes with some significant fees from text carriers. For this reason, we require you to reach a minimum spend before being allowed to register.
|Eligibility for registration||300+ group size||Minimum spend of $340|
|Eligibility for vetting||500+ group size||Minimum spend of $700|
If you need help with registering, reach out to our customer experience team at email@example.com or 877-226-3080.
Can I use my own local number?
Yes! If you'd prefer to use your own phone number, fill out this Text-Em-All Letter of Authorization (LOA) and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org (You can't enable a mobile number for texting). Our team will work with the carriers to text-enable your number.
Tip: Mobile phone lines will not work for local number texting. Text carriers only allow landline numbers to be enabled for mass texting.
What happens to my toll-free number if I switch to a local number?
Your current Toll-Free text number will remain in your account for 30 days after a new local number has been applied to your account before it will be retired.
What happens to my conversations on my toll-free number?
Your previous conversation history will remain in the DONE folder of the conversation section for historical purposes. New text replies to that number will not appear in your account.
- With any new text number, you will want to remember to assign the new text number to all your users so that they can send text messages as well.
- Be sure to enable the text features you want on your new local number (including auto-replies, notifications, required opt-ins, max character limit, and unlimited conversations)
- For additional questions about local number messaging or to switch over today, feel free to reach out to our support team at email@example.com or call 877-226-3080.